Siesta Key in Florida, known locally as the Venice of America, boasts nine miles of white-sand beaches and beautiful blue waters that are perfect for swimming, kayaking, surfing, and other water sports.
Whether you want to sunbathe on the beach or relax in a private cabana, Siesta Key has it all. Here are ten exciting things to do in Siesta Key if you plan on visiting this popular destination during your next vacation or weekend getaway!
Best Things to Do in Siesta Key, Florida
I recently had the pleasure of visiting the quaint beach town of Siesta Key, Florida. Located on the southwest coast of Florida, Siesta Key is home to one of the most beautiful beaches in the state.
When it comes to things to do in Siesta Key, there are so many exciting activities to try! From water sports and swimming to shopping and dining, you won’t be bored during your visit here! Here are 10 things to do in Siesta Key, Florida!
1) Go Kayaking
Siesta Key is a great place to go kayaking because the waters are calm and clear. Plus, there are plenty of places to rent kayaks and other equipment.
Some of the best kayaking spots include:
-The Mangrove Tunnels
- Turtle Beach
- Lido Beach
- Longboat Key Eco-Tours (exploring mangroves)
- Submarine World Eco-Tours (exploring sea life)
- Birding Tours
- Dolphin Watch Boat Tours You might see dolphins, manatees, seals, or pelicans while you’re out on the water! Make sure to bring your camera so you can capture all these magical moments!
- Sunset Cruises: On one of these cruises you’ll watch the sun set over Sarasota Bay while listening to music. The boat will stop at Stump Pass for viewing before returning back to the pier.
- Dolphin Discovery Center: You can walk around this interactive exhibit with informative videos and educational exhibits about dolphins as well as talk with knowledgeable staff members. It’s a must visit for any animal lover!
2) Tour the Lighthouse
The first thing on our list of things to do in Siesta Key is tour the lighthouse! The Lighthouse Point Park is a beautiful spot for a picnic or just to take in the view.
The best part is that you can actually go inside the lighthouse and climb to the top for an even better view. Just be sure to wear comfortable shoes! There are 114 steps, which may seem daunting but they’re worth it when you get to the top.
There’s also plenty of space at the park so it’s easy to spread out a blanket and have lunch while taking in the amazing views. Or if you’re looking for more adventure, try climbing up one of the many trees scattered around. One word of caution though: watch your head!
When we were there we saw several people come back down with minor scrapes from low-hanging branches. It’s not too bad because there’s always somebody nearby to help clean them up, but be careful!
If that sounds like something your kid would enjoy, they should head over to Treehouse Adventures where they’ll find all sorts of fun activities like zip lining through a canopy and tree climbing challenges. It’s very family friendly and the guides are knowledgeable about local wildlife.
3) Get a Massage
Relax on the beautiful beaches of Siesta Key and book a massage! There are many amazing spas in the area that will offer you an unforgettable experience. You can also find great deals on massages if you book in advance.
Get a facial, too! Treat yourself with a spa day and enjoy some pampering time. A lot of spas offer facials that use all natural products like seaweed extract or cucumber slices.
These services will not only make your skin glow but they’ll leave you feeling refreshed and energized for the rest of your day. So take care of yourself by booking one today!
Here are 10 more things to do in Siesta Key:
• Take pictures: Snap pictures on the beach, by waterfalls, at restaurants, etc. The options are endless!
• Hike through nature: No matter what kind of weather you’re going out into it’s always a good idea to bring a water bottle along with you and keep hydrated! Nature is always breath-taking so lace up those hiking boots and explore some new trails today.
• Rent Bikes: There’s nothing better than being able to pedal through Siesta Key’s scenic neighbourhoods while seeing all the sights it has to offer as well as how beautifully its landscaped gardens turn green during springtime.
The bikes come equipped with locks and helmets so you don’t have to worry about lugging around extra gear. Choose from cruisers, BMX bikes, tandem bikes, mountain bikes or road bikes for adults. Kids’ bikes include mini cruisers and tricycles. They even have electric scooters available!
4) Rent a Wave Runner
Wave runners are a great way to explore the waters of Siesta Key. You can rent them by the hour or by the day, and they’re perfect for cruising around the island. Plus, they’re a lot of fun!
Here are some tips for renting a wave runner Always ask about their rental policies before you go into the store. Some places have restrictions on how long you can keep it (one hour, one day), what time you need to return it (no later than 11am), or whether it’s available for use all year round.
Be sure to ask about these things before going into the store so that you don’t waste your time and money on something that doesn’t work for you. The more difficult decision is deciding which kind of wave runner to get.
They come in a variety of sizes and speeds- if you’re not an experienced rider, it might be best to get a slower model so that you’ll feel comfortable with your surroundings.
You should also consider the size of the boat- if it’s small, then you might want to get a smaller wave runner so that it won’t take up too much space.
There are lots of considerations when choosing a wave runner, but most importantly make sure that you know where you plan on using it and choose accordingly.
5) Enjoy some local art
Siesta Key is home to a number of local art galleries, each with their own unique style. Whether you’re looking for paintings, sculptures, or photography, you’re sure to find something that catches your eye. Plus, many of the galleries offer classes, so you can learn a new skill while on vacation.
The Sarasota area also hosts some notable museums, including The Ringling Museum of Art and The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art. Check out these two places if you want to experience more than just what’s on display at the galleries.
The Ringling museum houses an extensive collection of art from around the world spanning centuries. It includes Egyptian, Greek, Asian, European and American pieces from all eras.
Meanwhile, The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art is dedicated exclusively to American artwork ranging from 18th century furniture to 20th century sculpture by renowned artists like Henry Moore and Ellsworth Kelly. There are no restrictions on how long you can stay inside either museum – enjoy!
6) Visit an Owl Sanctuary
Siesta Key is home to the Owl Sanctuary, where you can see these nocturnal creatures up close. The sanctuary offers educational tours that teach you about the different species of owls and how they live. You might even get to see one of the owls fly!
- Go on a Dolphin Tour (seven sentences): One of the best ways to see Siesta Key is from the water. There are many dolphin tour operators in town, and they will take you out on a boat to try and spot some dolphins swimming nearby. These playful creatures are sure to make your day.
- Visit the Siesta Key Lighthouse (six sentences): The Siesta Key Lighthouse is one of the most popular tourist attractions on the island. Built in 1887, this historic landmark has been open to the public since 1936. Visitors can climb its winding staircase for stunning views of the Gulf of Mexico.
7) Dine at Local Restaurants
Siesta Key is home to some of the best seafood restaurants in the state. Whether you’re looking for fresh catches from the Gulf or international fare, you’ll find it here. Be sure to try the conch fritters and key lime pie – they’re both local specialties!
In addition to seafood, Siesta Key’s restaurants offer a variety of cuisines to choose from. If you’re looking for a quick bite, there are plenty of cafes and bakeries offering sandwiches, salads, and pastries. For a more upscale dining experience, check out one of the many fine dining establishments.
No matter what your budget is, you’ll be able to find a great meal on Siesta Key. One of our favorite places to eat is Sharky’s Tavern. They have amazing happy hour specials Monday through Friday with $1 oysters! The bar also has live music playing every night so that’s always fun.
Another place we like to go is Sunset Grille which offers live music as well as dancing lessons for those who want to show off their moves on the dance floor after dinner.
Fisherman’s Warf Restaurant is another great place to dine while you’re visiting Siesta Key. It specializes in casual American cuisine with dishes like lobster macaroni and cheese, shrimp and grits, crab cakes, seared scallops, steamed clams and mussels served daily until 3pm- can’t beat that!
8) Relax and Take in the Views from your Room
One of the best things about vacationing in Siesta Key is that you can relax and take in the views from your room. You don’t have to worry about the hustle and bustle of the city, or even other tourists. Instead, you can just enjoy the quiet beauty of your surroundings.
If you’re looking for a place to truly unwind, look no further than Siesta Key!
Here are 10 more exciting things to do:
Sip on a Cool Drink at Burrito Brothers: With this Miami-based restaurant, you’ll feel like you’ve gone down south with their authentic Mexican food!
The menu offers burritos, tacos, quesadillas and more – all of which are made fresh and delicious. Make sure to order their Super Fries while you’re there!
Visit one of the area’s Many Beach Parks: The Gulf beaches are beautiful at any time of year, but they especially come alive during fall when there’s less humidity.
Pack up your beach chairs, sunscreen and some snacks and spend an afternoon soaking up the sun. There are also plenty of places to rent bikes, jet skis and kayaks along the shoreline so make sure to plan ahead if you want to try something new.
9) Catch some live music around town
Siesta Key is known for its lively atmosphere, and one of the best ways to experience it is by catching some live music. Head to one of the many bars or restaurants that feature live music, or check out one of the city’s annual music festivals. You’re sure to have a good time no matter where you go!
1) Catch some live music around town: Siesta Key is known for its lively atmosphere, and one of the best ways to experience it is by catching some live music. Head to one of the many bars or restaurants that feature live music, or check out one of the city’s annual music festivals.
2) Watch movies on Sundays at Sunset Cove Amphitheater: If you’re looking for an evening activity with friends on Sundays after Labor Day through Memorial Day, head over to Sunset Cove Amphitheater for movie night every Sunday evening during this period! The movie starts at sunset and costs $5 per person (kids under 12 are free). All ages are welcome; arrive early so you can get your spot.
10) Play mini golf
One of the most popular activities in Siesta Key is playing mini golf. There are many different courses to choose from, each with their own unique challenges. Mini golf is a great way to spend an afternoon with friends or family.
And, if you’re feeling competitive, you can even keep score to see who comes out on top! The public course has 18 holes and is open year-round at 5th Ave. S. between Stickney Point Rd. and Stickney Point Dr., while the adjacent Pro Shop offers another 18 holes, which has more challenging obstacles like waterfalls and windmills, making it perfect for any skill level.
Not interested in minigolf? Check out these other exciting things to do in Siesta Key -Go horseback riding: Ever wanted to take your child horseback riding but never found the time?
Well now’s your chance! Emerald Coast Equestrian Center (located just outside Siesta Key) offers a children’s program for those five years old and up, as well as trail rides for adults. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to bond with nature as you ride through various landscapes.
Surf: One of the reasons people flock to Siesta Key is because of its amazing surfing opportunities. If you don’t know how, don’t worry–the professional instructors at Tackle Shack Surf School will be there every step of the way until you get your balance and start catching waves in no time!
If you’re looking for a place to relax and soak up some sun, Siesta Key is the perfect spot. With its white sand beaches and crystal clear waters, it’s no wonder this Florida destination is a popular vacation spot.
But there’s more to Siesta Key than just its beaches. Here are 10 things to do in Siesta Key that will make your vacation even more enjoyable.